1 hr 25 mins
Debbie Smith's Note:
This is a slightly sweet bread stemming from the kitchens of a church in a backwater town in Ohio. Every year the women of the church would gather to make bread for a religious ceremony and every year the aroma of this bread would fill the church hall. You'll enjoy not only eating this bread, but making it also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine oats, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, salt and margarine.
- 2Pour 2 cups or boiling water over combination and stir.
- 3Dissolve 1 package of dry yeast into 1/2 cup warm water.
- 4(Adding a pinch of sugar here will help the yeast to start rising on its own.) When batter is cooled to lukewarm, add yeast.
- 5(If it burns you, it will kill the yeast.) Stir in 5 cups of white flour.
- 6When dough is stiff enough to handle, turn onto floured board and knead for 5-10 mins.
- 7Place in greased bowl, cover with damp tea towel, and let rise until doubled.
- 8Punch down and let rise again until doubled.
- 9Shape into 2 loaves in 2 greased 9x5x3" pans.
- 10Bake at 350F (177C) for 30-40 mins or until top is golden brown colour.
- 11Cool on rack.
- 12Brush loaves with margarine for a soft crust.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Oatmeal Bread
Serving Size: 1 (929 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1713.7
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3653.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 342.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.8 g
- Sugars 54.4 g
- Protein 44.3 g