Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I hate the term 'molded salad' - it sounds like something green & fuzzy. This is my mother's Jello salad recipe. Most people I know will turn up their nose when I say Jello salad but there are never leftovers. Hmmmm...... I'm not positive on the exact ounces - small boxs of jello, big can of cranberry & small can of pineapple. This multiplies easily & can be made several days ahead & kept refrigerated.
- 2 (4 ounce) boxes red Jell-O, sugar free is great for this (mom prefers raspberry, I prefer cherry)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Dissolve Jello in boiling water. Add cranberry & mix well.
- Refrigerate until almost solidly jelled. Add undrained pineapple & 1 cup cold water. Pour into a large pan or mold & refrigerate until set.
- Serve with dressing.
Waaaaaaay too sweet for my taste, sorry...
I love 'jello' & when I can pair that with cranberry, well . . . OUTSTANDING! My mom used to make something like this, but never used the cranberry sauce (something I like)! I made this exactly as written & really enjoyed it, BUT another time I might just substitute cold cranberry juice for the 1 cup of cold water ~ We'll see! However that works out, this is certainly a keeper of a recipe! Thank you so much for sharing it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Ramadan Recipe Tag 2009]
This was a little sour for my taste so I added a little Splenda to the mix. The final result had an interesting taste. Made for Ramadan Tag