Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is the recipe my mom's lasagna recipe and it is always a hit. I like to try different variations but always come back to this old standby.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 14 ounces whole tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 7 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot.
- Drain off fat.
- Add sliced onion and minced garlic. Cook for about a minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine and oregano.
- Simmer for about two hours.
- Boil water and cook lasagna noodles for about 10 minutes.
- Drain and let cool.
- In a blender, mix ricotta, egg, salt and pepper.
- Spread noodles on bottom of dish. Layer with tomato meat sauce, ricotta mixture, mozzarella and parmesan. Repeat.
- Cook for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.
I love this recipe. I thought the sauce, being almost more meat than sauce, would leave me missing something, but I was WRONG. I make it for one of my best buddies whose favorite food is lasagna and he LOVES it. I add a little more garlic and just a dash of crushed red pepper for a little heat.
I'm not much of a cook, but this lasagna was easy to make...sooo delicious! I added mushrooms to the recipe.