Recipe by Meri Beth
Awesomely moist and tart cake. My mom makes this from a recipe she found and I'm posting it here because it's a favorite of mine to make too. If you like lime, you'll love it.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package lemon cake mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 (3 ounce) packagelime flavored gelatin powder
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (I use fat free with great results)
- 3 tablespoons fresh key lime juice (I used bottled key lime)
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- lime zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cake mix, gelatin mix, oil, eggs and orange juice.
- Pour into three 8 inch cake pans.
- Bake according to instructions on box.
- Allow to cool, then poke holes in cakes while in pans and pour key lime juice over layers.
- To make the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add lime juice and confectioners sugar. Add lime zest if desired. Mix well and ice cakes.
- You can substitute ingredients for a lighter cake and it still turns out well.