Recipe by ChipotleChick
My mom's recipe. It is delicious without the ham also! Robust and filling, especially served with a nice rustic loaf of bread!
Top Review by SheBop
A fast & easy prep meal, hearty and yummy, especially in cold weather. Peeling potatoes takes the longest; everything else is basically "toss in the pot." The cabbage adds a little something extra to the flavor. I've also made it without the ham and it's just as good.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 cans water
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 6 potatoes, cut into medium chunks
- 7 carrots, cut into medium chunks
- 1 green cabbage, cut into quarters and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1 slice ham, 1 inch thick,diced
- 1 can navy beans or 1 can other white beans, rinsed and drained
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot until onions are clear.
- Add everything except the seasonings, cabbage, beans, and corn.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- After 5 minutes, pour the corn on top (do not stir!), and pour the cabbage on top of the corn.
- Simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Add Crushed red pepper, Salt, Pepper, Tabasco to taste.