Recipe by allona519
From The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. Great with any kind of nondairy milk, as a snack, or on top of a dessert. It will also last for weeks or even months stored in a glass container.
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (or maple sugar)
- 3⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds (or sesame seeds)
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (or raisins)
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup, sweetest version (or brown rice syrup, slightly milder version)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the oats on a rimmed baking pan, and bake for 10 minutes. Transfer the oats to a large mixing bowl, and add the sugar, wheat germ, coconut, seeds, and nuts or raisins. Stir to mix well, then add the oil, syrup,and vanilla extract. Mix until everything is moistened.
- Spread half of the mixture on each of 2 rimmed baking sheets (or bake in 2 batches), and bake for 10 minutes. Stir after 5 minutes to brown evenly.
- Let the baked granola cool on the pans, then transfer it to a bowl and stir until crumbly. Store in an airtight container.