Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is what Delicious Living says: "These delicious cookies are a favorite of the many dogs that visit the Licks and Wags Dog Bakery. They provide a hard, crunchy texture that helps maintain healthy teeth." Haven't tried these yet, but just got a puppy, so intend to soon. The recipe only says, "Makes 1 lb".
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin purée, honey, water, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda until well mixed.
- In the bowl and using hands, knead until dough holds together.
- Transfer to lightly floured surface. Divide dough into two equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a log. Flatten the logs to about 4 inches wide. With a fork, poke holes all over the surface of the logs.
- Place about 4 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until firm.
- Place pan on a rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F
- With a sharp knife, cut each log crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Place, cut side down, about 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets. Bake for 30 minutes longer, or until completely hard.
- Transfer cookies to a rack and let cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed container for up to 30 days.
This recipe is excellent. Never made dog treats before and they turned out great. Gave to about 10 colleagues of mine and all their dogs loved them. My dogs actually sat beside me while making them because I let them try some after the first baking. The only thing I did different was after the first 30 min. bake I cut in biscotti shaped biscuite, BUT then, Cut biscuits in half and cubed them from there. I wanted bite sized treats. They are perfect!
I made these as Xmas gifts from our beagle (who'll eat anything, so she wasn't much of a critic) to her pals...a great dane, in particular. Now, Angus refuses to come inside unless one of these cookies is in hand!! He's too funny about them- if it's not whole (and yes, he can tell) he'll spit it out until a whole one appears! I ADORE this recipe!!
I made these as a fun gift for some friends who have much-loved critters, and they were thrilled. Almost as mucb as the dogs were, who, I am told, loved them and very happily devoured them. Thanks for a fun, great recipe and for a cute gift idea.