Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Straightforward, unadorned, chocolatey rich, among the many delicious memories of my childhood. This was a birthday staple in out house. Hope you enjoy it.
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine boiling water and cocoa. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the center and add oil, egg YOLKS, cooled cocoa mixture, and vanilla, in that order. Beat slightly with each addition; after all are added, beat until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl, beat egg WHITES with cream of tartar until very stiff peaks form.
- Slowly pour the chocolate mixtre over the eggwhites in a thin stream Fold gently until well blended.
- Bake in an UNgreased 10" tube pan for 55 minutes at 325°F Then increase heat to 350°F and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Invert pan and cool. Ice with chocolate icing, if desired.
This is a marvelous chocolatey dream cake! Light and fluffy and delicious! I made it for a dinner party. Baked it in round layer pans. i froze one for another day. Sliced the other crossways and filled it with chocolate reddi whip and mixed fresh berries macarated in Kahlua, then topped it with more whipped cream and spotted the top with more berries. Yummo was it good, a big hit!! Thanks for posting!!