Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
We always had this on Thanksgiving when I was a kid so now I make it as well.
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice the mushrooms and onion and chop the bacon.
- Heat the oil and butter in a skillet.
- Add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook until onion is tender.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until browned.
- While the bacon, onion and mushrooms are cooking clean the chicken livers and chop into small pieces.
- Add the chicken livers.
- After the chicken livers have had time to cook and get brown add the wine, balsamic vinegar and stock.
- Simmer, uncovered until the livers are done.
- Serve alone or with with egg noodles.
If you like chicken livers, you'll love this dish! I had bought chicken livers without having a recipe in mind, and found this one, to my delight. It smelled wonderful while cooking, and tasted even better. The only thing I varied was amounts of certain ingredients, according to what I had on hand; however, I did not have Marsala wine and used a sweet fortified wine in its place. The recipe did not mention when to add the balsamic vinegar, so I added it to the wine and stock. I had plenty of lovely broth which I did not thicken, just served as it was. (And, since I was at home and not at a formal dinner, I drank the last bits from my bowl - it was that good. Thanks StaciJane!