Recipe by puppitypup
This is my husband's favorite. The 3 layers are just about too high for a cake keeper, so I often cut the recipe in half and make a 2 layer cake instead. I know 3 divided by 2 doesn't equal 2, but it's close enough! I included two frosting options.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups grated raw carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup finely diced walnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (or 1/3-1/2 c sourcream)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons finely diced walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease, flour and paper three 8" or 9" cake pans.
- Cream sugars and oil, add applesauce, then eggs one at a time, then vanilla and pineapple.
- Sift dry ingredients and add gradually to creamed mixture.
- Stir in carrots, raisins, walnuts and coconut.
- Pour into cake pans and bake for 35 minutes or until done.
- Mix frosting and frost cake - once it has cooled completely. For Mom's frosting, use butter. For my frosting, substitute sourcream for butter, starting with the lower amount and increasing if needed. Garnish with diced walnuts.
- If you prefer the frosting thicker, add more powdered sugar. If you prefer it thinner, add more sourcream.