Recipe by ChefChic
If they turn out too hard after setting, just remelt and heat the caramels. They will turn out darker the second time, but they will still taste just as good!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserving vanilla for later, combine all ingredients in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until candy reaches 240 degrees. Then begin to stir constantly until it reaches the firm ball stage (246-248).
- Remove from heat immediately and let stand 2 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9" square pan (Pam not recommended). Let cool and firm in room temperature air until set, about 3 hours. Cut into 3/4" strips and then cut each strip into about 10 pieces.
- Wrap caramels in waxed paper and store in refrigerator for longer shelf life.