Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I promise you that my mom's banana bread recipe is the absolute BEST you'll ever make or taste -- I've tried other banana bread recipes, but - they don't even come close to my Mom's -- Love you Mommy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed bananas (4 to 5 Medium bananas)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (or Splenda, whatever you like)
- 2 eggs, separated (Large or Medium)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1⁄4 cup pecans (optional)
- Cream together butter, sugar, & egg yolks until creamy.
- Sift dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg). Alternately add the dry mixture to the creamed butter mixture as well as the milk & mashed bananas. Beat the egg whites until a stiff peak forms and fold in with a wooden spoon, (make sure you only use a wooden spoon to do this - this is KEY), next - fold in the chopped nuts also stir in with the wooden spoon.
- Bake in a loaf pan that you have sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray and dusted lightly with flour at 350° for approximately 45 minutes - insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf to ensure it is not runny, if it is - allow to bake an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with cream cheese or your favorite margarine.
- Note: I love to wait a day and then toast a piece in my toaster oven - it is SO good when it gets re-heated and toasty with butter on it and a cup of coffee - YUM!
This is definitely a lighter banana bread recipe (not a heavy weight in your stomach) which I like. I add chopped pecans and chocolate chips and make banana muffins. Bake my muffins at 350 for about 20 mins and it works out great. Thanks for sharing!
This is, hands down, the best banana bread recipe I've used. Delicious!!
This recipe sounds great! I can't wait to try it out.