Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe that my grandmother found years ago. My mother tweaked it and it's definitely a comfort food classic in my household. I personally prefer extra-sharp Cracker Barrel but use whatever cheddar you prefer.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 10 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 -2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Shred the cheddar cheese or chop into very small cubes. *Shredded cheese will melt faster than cubed cheese, but it's also messier and takes longer to do. It's up to you.*.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour, salt and pepper off of the heat. Gradually add the milk and stir continuously for about 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add cheese and melt.
- Meanwhile, boil the macaroni for about 5 minutes. Pour macaroni into a glass casserole dish and then pour cheese sauce over. Stir until macaroni is coated.
- Sift bread crumbs over the top of the macaroni.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until the bread crumb crust is crispy.