Elisha Ann's Note:
This is a recipe that my grandmother found years ago. My mother tweaked it and it's definitely a comfort food classic in my household. I personally prefer extra-sharp Cracker Barrel but use whatever cheddar you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Shred the cheddar cheese or chop into very small cubes. *Shredded cheese will melt faster than cubed cheese, but it's also messier and takes longer to do. It's up to you.*.
- 3Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour, salt and pepper off of the heat. Gradually add the milk and stir continuously for about 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- 4Add cheese and melt.
- 5Meanwhile, boil the macaroni for about 5 minutes. Pour macaroni into a glass casserole dish and then pour cheese sauce over. Stir until macaroni is coated.
- 6Sift bread crumbs over the top of the macaroni.
- 7Bake about 30 minutes or until the bread crumb crust is crispy.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Baked Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.9
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 74.2 mg
- Sodium 772.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 23.0 g