Recipe by Kathy(
From my mother's recipe files. A favorite recipe from my childhood that brings back memories of toasting a slice of pound cake and spreading a little butter on top.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 3 cups flour, sifted three times
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350. Grease bundt pan then put large dabs of butter along creases of pan, embedding an almond in each dab.
- Cream butter.
- Sift the two sugars together and gradually add to butter. Scrape bowl.
- Add unbeaten egg yolks, one at a time. Beat until smooth. Scrape bowl.
- Mix in extracts. Scrape bowl.
- Sift flour 3 times, re-measure, sift with baking powder and salt 3 times (Mom was emphatic about the sifting).
- Starting with flour and ending with flour, add flour and milk alternately to batter. Scrape bowl.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 1/4 hours or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.