Prep 8 mins
Cook 2 mins
After making instant oatmeal from packs and trying to adapt the quick oats for years, I finally created this basic high octane (fiber & protein) recipe to fuel our mornings. To accommodate changing tastes and my desire to experiment I mix and store the basic recipe. The desired add-ins are mixed when I serve the cereal. The recipe can also be increased to accommodate OAMC.
- 3 cups quick oatmeal
- 1 cup seven-grain cereal (I use Bob's Red Mill 7 grain hot cereal)
- 1⁄2 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- dried fruit, to taste per serving
- raisins, to taste per serving
- chocolate chips, to taste per serving
- walnuts, to taste per serving
- vanilla extract, 1/8 tsp per serving
- banana, to taste
- applesauce, to taste
- granola cereal, to taste
- maple syrup, to taste
- honey, to taste
- molasses, to taste
- Pour all ingredients into an air tight container and mix well to distribute them evenly.
- Store in your freezer or pantry.
- To Make Single Servings: Pour ½ cup of mixture and 1 cup of water, milk, or soy milk into a bowl. Microwave on high 1-2 minutes. Stir and let stand (mix continues to cook) for one minute before serving. Stir in add-ins, serve.
- Note 1-Thickness: Use less liquid to thicken or more to thin your cereal. I make the recipe according to directions, it thickens as it cooks. After it has cooked I add additional milk (actually Silk light vanilla soy) to thin it.
- Note 2-Cooking time: Your cooking time may vary, be sure to watch carefully the first time you make it to avoid boiling over.
I love this oatmeal! It is better than what you buy in the store and very easy to mix together. I used pumpkin pie spice instead of allspice and it is very good.