My sister in law made this for her daughter's first birthday party recently. It is very good and easy to prepare. Please don't Zmail to tell me this isn't "authentic" Ukrainian cake. You can take that issue up with Ms. Katzen. Note: CG forgot to tell you when I first posted this recipe that SIL omitted the orange glaze and just lightly sprinkled powdered sugar on top of the cake instead. --fyi--
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (white or light brown-I used a combination)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons dry sherry (optional) or 2 -3 tablespoons orange liqueur (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter a 10 inch tube or bundt pan.
- CAKE: Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter/egg mixture alternately with the poppy seeds and milk; beginning and ending with the dry mixture.
- Stir batter just enough to blend thoroughly, adding the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon rind at the end.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a pretty cake platter. Allow to cool completely before adding the orange glaze and/or slicing.
- ORANGE GLAZE: Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for about 3 minutes.
- Pour the hot glaze onto the cooled cake. Let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing.