Recipe by duonyte
From RecipeWiki. This recipe is also categorized as Romanian. Servings are estimated. I have not made this yet, and imagine I might add a bay leaf and some pepper. The original source said to use "some" of the cooking liquid, so that part is a bit unclear, sorry.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Instead of straining the potatoes, I just boiled the without a lid until the potatoes were cooked & the liquid reduced enough. It worked. :) We love this soup! It makes barely enough for 4. The 3 of us each had a large serving with only a few mouthfuls left. It's thick & rich & creamy. And it's easy! Made for Ramadan Tag 2012.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon butter
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the cubed potatoes with the finely chopped onion.
- When they are done, strain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Mash thoroughly or rice the potatoes and thin with enough of the cooking liquid to make a soup of the consistency you prefer.
- Add salt to taste and bring back to the boil.
- Mix the sour cream or yogurt with the flour. Add it to the soup, stirring constantly.
- Let boil for a minute or two, add the chopped parsley and butter.
- Serve with toast.