Recipe by JenSmith
This is a recipe my grandmother used to make for Christmas and Thanksgiving when I was a kid. It sure is good! Also good for potluck dinners.
- 1 (3 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water, divided
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine or 1 1⁄2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 (6 ounce) package lemon gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- celery leaves (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften the unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water; set aside.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar and wine or cranberry juice; heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon gelatin and softened unflavored gelatin; stir until dissolved. Stir in remaining water. Chill until mixture is partially set.
- Fold in celery and walnuts. Pour into a greased 8-cup mold; cover and chill until set.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream and mayonnaise; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, unmold gelatin and top each serving with a dollop of the sourcream dressing. Garnish with celery leaves.
- NOTE: In the picture, this is molded in a ring shape with a small bowl set in the center holding the sourcream dressing.