Recipe by Leta
Your basic molasses cookies.
Top Review by Cindy Lynn
These were wonderful Leta. I used fresh ground ginger rather than powder and I am so glad I did! My entire family raved! I also quadrupled the recipe, but ended up with more like 12 dozen cookies rather than the 8 dozen I had anticipated. They were done in exactly 10 minutes (still slightly chewy, which is the way we like them). This recipe has inspired me to try a couple different things as well. If they work out as I expect, then I'll post the final recipe and credit you for the inspiration! Thank you for sharing this recipe Leta!!!
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Add molasses and egg; beat well.
- Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; add to molasses mixture.
- Mix well; chill.
- Form into 1-inch balls, roll in granulated sugar and place on greased cookie sheets two inches apart.
- Bake in moderately hot oven, 375° for 8-10 minutes.