Recipe by Meg Sweetland Baker
This recipie was cut out of a 1939 gas company flyer in Wisconsin by my grandma Bramucci. Our family has made them, usually around the holidays, ever since.
- 1 cup bacon fat
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 5 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together bacon fat and sugar.
- Add hot water, molasses, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir flour in 1 cup at a time until all is thoroughly blended.
- Chill dough at least 1 hour.
- Flour rolling surface.
- Roll chilled dough to 1/2" thick.
- Cut with large round cookie cutter or juice glass.
- Grease foil-covered cookie sheets.
- Bake at 275 for 10 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar with small amount of water until spreading consistency is reached.
- Frost cookies with glaze.