This moist cornbread begs for butter when you take it out of the oven and it's even better the next day so you can prepare it a day ahead wrap in plastic and serve the following day, if you don't care for nutmeg then omit, if you like a sweeter taste then increase the sugar slightly --- serve this along side of your turkey or ham dinner :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream or 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup cranberries
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 8" x 8" baking pan, OR a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a bowl, toss together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and mace.
- In another mixing bowl, mix with a wooden spoon, the pumpkin puree, sour cream OR buttermilk (if using), butter, eggs and honey, until well combined.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture JUST until combined.
- Mix in the cranberries.
- Transfer to a prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until edges just begin to colour.
- Cool to room temperature.