This moist cornbread begs for butter when you take it out of the oven and it's even better the next day so you can prepare it a day ahead wrap in plastic and serve the following day, if you don't care for nutmeg then omit, if you like a sweeter taste then increase the sugar slightly --- serve this along side of your turkey or ham dinner :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream or 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup cranberries
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 8" x 8" baking pan, OR a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a bowl, toss together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and mace.
- In another mixing bowl, mix with a wooden spoon, the pumpkin puree, sour cream OR buttermilk (if using), butter, eggs and honey, until well combined.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture JUST until combined.
- Mix in the cranberries.
- Transfer to a prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until edges just begin to colour.
- Cool to room temperature.
This was very yummy! I substituted cream cheese/milk for the sour cream and mine came out a lot thicker - I had to flatten my batter in the pan before baking. Very tasty and flavorful, just the right sweetness. Next time I'm making it in mini muffins.
Wow! Love this! My favorite bread comfort food is cornbread and I love pumpkin & cranberries. What could be better all together? It is very moist too. Lovely flavor. Next time I might even add more cranberries. Also used canola oil instead of butter & eggbeaters instead of eggs & fatfree plain yogurt instead of sour cream. All worked very well as substitutions.
We loved how these turned out! We used the buttermilk and we made them into mini muffins (only needed to cook for 25 minutes at same temp) and they are the perfect size and taste! Thank You KITTENCAL!