- 175 g unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the butter and sugar until they become light, creamy and pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Mix in the golden syrup.
- Sift flour, baking soda and cocoa in a separate bowl. Fold into the other mixture, alternating with the milk until combined.
- Turn into a greased and lined cake tin (23 - 25cm).
- Bake at 160 degrees Celsius for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool and turn onto a cooling rack.
- When cooled, ice with chocolate icing,.