Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe my DH's daughter gave me, it is one her late mother used to make alot, and that her Father loved. I am posting it here so as not to lose it, which is a problem I seem to keep having with this one I lay it down in my Big Red Book and darned if when I want it, it hasn't gotten up and moved itself to one of my other books. Although this looks complicated to make most of the preparation is opening cans so don't be afraid to use this and be sure to remember it is great family get together food too. Can be made ahead and frozen also for one of those OAMC meals.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) jars sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, Crushed
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) packagebutterfly noodles
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 (8 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- Cook onions, garlic and beef. Add remaining ingredients and simmer.
- Cook noodles as directed and drain. Add chopped spinach that has been drained, bread crumbs, grated cheese and eggs to noodles.
- Pour Sauce over noodle mixture and mix together and put into casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and serve.
This was a little too dry, we thought. Next time I will make less noodles so there is more sauce. That will also make for a smaller casserole, which is good since I'm only feeding two.
A great casserole! We loved this and I will add this to my favorite recipes. Had small onions so I used two and ground round to cut down on the fat. Spinach is not a favorite of DH's so I used only 8 ounces of spinach and one 4 1/2 ounce can of mushrooms. I also saved some of the cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top right before the casserole was finished baking. Served with ChaCha's Recipe #178080 and enjoyed a great supper! Made and reviewed for Kitten's Chef Pick Tag Game.
Delicious! DH and I both loved this! Made as directed, however I didn't have butterfly pasta so used spiral pasta. This is a winner ChaCha! I also saved 1/2 the cheese to sprinkle on top, and only used one huge onion which was plenty for us, as well as fresh chopped garlic. I will be making this again! Made for Kittencal's Chef's Pick Tag. :)