Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These light and fluffy cupcakes are so yummy! Sweet rice flour may be difficult to find in mainland grocery stores- try an international market. My favorite brand is "MOCHICKO" and it comes in a box. If you are lucky enough to have passion fruit (lilikoi), use that juice instead of the lemon juice for flavor. I always brag that I am famous for these cupcakes- you should, too :)
- 2 1⁄3 cups sweet rice flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 -6 tablespoons lemon juice or 4 -6 tablespoons lilikoi juice
- 1 cup sour milk (1 tablespoon lemon juice plus enough milk to bring to 1 cup)
The cream cheese icing
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice or 4 tablespoons lilikoi juice
- Make the cupcakes. In a large mixing bowl, blend well the sugar and softened butter. Blend in the eggs, one by one.
- Make the sour milk. To 1 tablespoon lemon juice, add enough milk to bring it to 1 cup. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It will curdle.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (sweet rice flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt).
- To the butter/sugar/egg mixture, alternately blend in the dry mixture and sour milk. Blend well. Rice flour lacks gluten, so the mixture will become fluffy as you blend.
- Fill cupcake holders about 3/4 of the way. Bake at 350 degrees F for 17 - 20 minutes. When cupcakes are slightly golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, the are perfect.
- Make the cream cheese icing. Blend well the cream cheese and butter.
- Blend in the powdered sugar, a little at a time.
- Blend in the lemon juice, a tablespoon at a time, tasting as you go.
- Keep the icing chilled in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- Spread on top of cupcakes after they've cooled off.