These light and fluffy cupcakes are so yummy! Sweet rice flour may be difficult to find in mainland grocery stores- try an international market. My favorite brand is "MOCHICKO" and it comes in a box. If you are lucky enough to have passion fruit (lilikoi), use that juice instead of the lemon juice for flavor. I always brag that I am famous for these cupcakes- you should, too :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups sweet rice flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 -6 tablespoons lemon juice or 4 -6 tablespoons lilikoi juice
- 1 cup sour milk (1 tablespoon lemon juice plus enough milk to bring to 1 cup)
The cream cheese icing
- 1Make the cupcakes. In a large mixing bowl, blend well the sugar and softened butter. Blend in the eggs, one by one.
- 2Make the sour milk. To 1 tablespoon lemon juice, add enough milk to bring it to 1 cup. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It will curdle.
- 3In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (sweet rice flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt).
- 4To the butter/sugar/egg mixture, alternately blend in the dry mixture and sour milk. Blend well. Rice flour lacks gluten, so the mixture will become fluffy as you blend.
- 5Fill cupcake holders about 3/4 of the way. Bake at 350 degrees F for 17 - 20 minutes. When cupcakes are slightly golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, the are perfect.
- 6Make the cream cheese icing. Blend well the cream cheese and butter.
- 7Blend in the powdered sugar, a little at a time.
- 8Blend in the lemon juice, a tablespoon at a time, tasting as you go.
- 9Keep the icing chilled in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- 10Spread on top of cupcakes after they've cooled off.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mochi Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Icing, Gluten Free
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.6
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 109.4 mg
- Sodium 182.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 24.9 g
- Protein 4.4 g