Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is such a special and distinctive punch. It is just like sipping on a milkshake. Prep time includes refrigeration.
Top Review by Simplifying Things
I have had this recipe for five years and just made it today! This is so easy and yummylicious (a word I just made up)! Just microwave the water until very hot (like 8 min.) and then add choc. mix, sugar (my recipe called for only 1/4 c.), and coffee. Stir, cover, and place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Then 30 min. b/4 serving pour into punch bowl and scoop ice cream into it. For this amount of punch, we used 1/2 of a 1/2 gal. carton of both ice creams and it was plenty rich and delicious! Making it this way (cutting the ice cream down by 1/2) I would say that it serves 12 nicely. I was serving it to 8 today and I had a little left over, which I am going to savor over the next few days as it is very rich. Next time I'm going to add a little more coffee so I can actually taste it. Forget the whipped cream, it's not necessary!
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup instant chocolate drink mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup instant coffee granules
- 1⁄2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄2 gallon chocolate ice cream
- 1 cup whipped cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil; then remove from the heat.
- Add the drink mix, sugar, and coffee; stir until dissolved.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- About 30 minutes before serving, pour into a punch bowl. Add the ice cream by scoopfuls; stir until partially melted. Garnish with dollops of whipped cream.