Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Southern Living.
Top Review by mianbao
This is quite good. It was easy to make. There was some cracking on the top, but it could be covered with whipped cream if necessary. I guess my problem is that I'd prefer something a little less chocolately, which is probably a really weird complaint about a chocolate cheesecake. I have eaten chocolate cheesecakes that I liked better, but this is definitely not a bad recipe, and might well be liked very much by the majority of people.
- 1 1⁄4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 8 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- chocolate curls
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the chocolate wafer crumbs and melted butter; stir well to combine.
- Press mixture into bottom and 1-inch up sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds; chill.
- Add semisweet chocolate to the top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil; lower heat; cook until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, using an electric mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in 1 cup sugar; beating well.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in melted chocolate, beating until smooth.
- Crush coffee granules with a mortal/pestle or the back of a spoon.
- Combine coffee, Kahlua, and vanilla; add to chocolate mixture, beating well.
- Fold in sour cream.
- Pour cheesecake filling into crumb crust; place on baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 1 hour.
- Turn oven off and let cheesecake stand in oven for 30 minutes with the door partially open.
- Remove from oven; cool on wire rack.
- Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add in powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Remove sides of springform pan; pipe or dollop whipped cream around edge of cheesecake.
- Garnish with chocolate curls.