Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. Kids will also love them. Makes a great gift. The recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no subsitutes)
- 1 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee crystals
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted almond
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat the butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on mediun to high speed for 30 seconds; add sugar, coffee crystals, baking powder, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs until combined; beat in cocoa powder and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon; stir in nuts.
- Divide the dough in half; shape into loafs, using flour on hands; Place loaves on greased cookie sheet about 5 inches apart on cookie sheet; flatten to 3-inches wide; Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until firm and a toothpick insterted in center comes out clean; reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Cool on cookie sheet; transfer loaves to cutting board, cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices; Lay sliced, cut side down,on cookie sheet; bake for 8-minutes; turn slices over and bake 7 to 12 minutes more or until dry and crisp; transfer to racks and cool.
- For espresso drizzle, in a medium bowl dissolve instant espresso in 1 tablespoon water; stir in powdered sugar; add additional water, IF necessary, to make drizzling consistency, drizzle over biscotti's.
These were fun to make and delicious. I followed the recipe exactly and found the flavors of cinnamon, coffee and cocoa well balanced. I have been making biscotti for about 2 months, trying different recipes to get the perfect texture, flavor etc. Texture on this recipe is excellent. This is going into my favorites to have on hand for all occassions!
I love these. I added a bit more then a tablespoon of coffee crystals to the dough, and I didn't have any espresso powder, so I just used a double dose of coffee crystals there. The texture is prefect!
This was nice biscotti. I added 2 tablespoons of cofee crystals to give it a little more flavor. The drizzle also gives it a nice sweet touch. My daughter also liked them too. :)