Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A great way to "store" produce when the price is right! This recipe came from Company's Coming Cooking For The Seasons.
- 6 large carrots, cut up
- 1⁄2 large cauliflower, cut bite size
- 6 pickling cucumbers, coarsely chopped
- 4 banana peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups pickling onions, skins removed
- 12 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- Firmly pack veggies& garlic into hot sterilized jars.
- Combine all brine ingredients in large pot or Dutch oven& bring to a boil.
- Pour brine over vegetables to within 1/2 inch of top.
- Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely.
- Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
when I can vegetables, I always cook them for 5 minutes or so to remove air and wilt them a bit. This might prevent them from from floating and allow you to fit alot more in the jar to begin with.The vinegar could be used to cook them in.compare to other recipes.
Altho I followed the recipe instructions, results were weird. The veggies appear to be shrinking inside the jar. At first, I thought I hadn't packed the jars tightly enough (though I don't know I could have gotten any more in the jars), it seems that the veggies are shriveling up... almost like they are "drying up" in the pickling liquid. Even the cauliflower looks shrunken. Altho the jars were packed, the amout of veggies is now at about 1/2 the volume, floating at the top of the jar. I don't think I'll use this recipe again.