Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Fitness Magazine, February 2006. A little bit different variation on traditional vinaigrettes.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cranberries (frozen OK, thawed)
- 2 small garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (either dark or light variety)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed greens
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, sliced thinly (I like Persian or English cucumber for this recipe)
- 8 snow peas, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
- 6 whole mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons whole Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted (optional, my addition)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On an aluminum baking sheet combine the fresh cranberries, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Allow vinaigrette mixture to cool while assembling the salad.
- In a serving bowl, combine the salad ingredients. Remove the garlic cloves from the dressing, divide the vinaigrette and pour over the salad.
- Garnish with toasted walnuts if desired. Add a shake or two of freshly ground black pepper if you wish.
- Yields 1 substantial salad serving or 2 smaller salad plate servings.
Was a little concerned about roasting the cranberries for quarter of an hour, but will admit that the vinaigrette turned out very well! Followed the recipe pretty much, but I did leave out the min leaves ~ My other half would have enjoyed 'em, but me, not so much! With everything else that was on the table, I even managed 3 servings here! Thanks for sharing a great salad recipe! [Made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Vebetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 24]