From the Four Seasons Hotel, Washington, D.C. Talk about a mess of greens! My dad grows greens year round and this is a great recipe to use them in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (or use homemade chicken stock)
- 1 lb fresh mustard greens, chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh collard greens, chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh turnip greens, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 tablespoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1/2 lb bacon, slices
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced purple onion
- 1 cup diced turnip
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1Add the first 7 ingredients to a large stock pot; bring to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, stirring every now and then, for 1 hour.
- 3Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp; drain bacon on a paper towel lined plate.
- 4Reserve drippings in skillet; crumble bacon and return to skillet.
- 5Add in diced potato and the next 4 ingredients to the skillet; stir/saute over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- 6Add potato mixture to greens mixture in the stock pot.
- 7Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.
- 8Add in salt and pepper if needed; adjust to taste.
- 9Serve chowder with cornbread.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mixed Greens Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (7434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.5
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 3303.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 27.9 g