Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Ray McCue, chef of the New York City restaurant 2 West.
Make and share this Mixed Berry Shortcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup raspberries
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberry, hulled and halved
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 4 ounces of chilled mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the buttermilk biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, plus
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- egg wash or milk, for glazing
- Toss the berries with the honey. Set aside.
- Mix mascarpone, whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in large bowl until firm peaks form.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the buttermilk biscuits:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Have all ingredients well chilled.
- Place all dry ingredients and shortening in bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment.
- Mix until crumbly, then add buttermilk and mix just until dough comes together.
- Gently roll out dough to 3/4-inch thickness and cut with round cutter.
- Glaze with egg wash or milk and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Split the biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon the berries over the bottom half of each biscuit.
- Be sure to pour some of the honey over each biscuit as well.
- Spoon the mascarpone cream over the berries and finish by placing the top half of each biscuit on the cream.
- Garnish with powered sugar and mint.