Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Easy crockpot recipe. We think its really tasty. Can be served over rice, nacho chips or as a filler for tortillas. Or just serve it with bread.
- oil (a little)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2⁄3 cup dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup pinto beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- i yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper
- Soak the dried beans overnight.
- heap a little oil in a large pan. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in cumin and chilli powder and cook, stirring, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and stock and bring to the boil. Boil vigorously for about 10 minutes.
- Trnasfer the mixture to the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, until the beans are tender.
- About 20 minutes before serving, add the chopped yellow pepper and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the sugar.
- Serve immediately.
Only thing I'd change about this is the name - to Mixed Chili Beans. I wouldn't think of this as chili, rather beans. They're creamy and flavorful with a touch color from the bell pepper. I added 1T vinegar just before serving.