Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is perfect for picnics and eating outdoors since there is no mayonnaise. A perfect addition to any backyard barbecue, this salad can be made a day in advance, but add feta cheese and basil right before serving.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half (approx. 2 pints)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook green and yellow beans in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain beans and put in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking, then drain.
- Combine vinegar, oil, salt and pepper with a whisk in a large bowl.
- Add beans, onion and tomatoes and toss gently.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Right before serving, add basil and feta cheese and toss.
Nice flavor. Quick and easy to make. Love the fresh basil.
This was truly amazing. We've made this twice now, and everyone was very impressed. This is definitely a keeper. Highly recommended. This went really well with bourbon chicken on rice. The dressing in this just goes very nicely with the tomatoes and the feta. I will be making this again. Update: 30 Jan. 2009: I can't believe this still only has two ratings! This really is a great dish, and we keep it in our regular rotation. We're making it again tonight! If you haven't tried this salad, you haven't lived. Update: 23 April 2009: Seriously? This STILL only has two ratings!?!?! This is as good as anything else you'll EVER eat. People of Earth: Try this recipe! you will love it! Update: 23 August 2011: We made this for some friends last Friday evening, and once again, it was super popular. I'm not sure why this only has two ratings. This is the Bourbon Chicken of leafless salads. Update: 26 September 2016: It's been a while, but we're making this again. Try it. You won't regret it. Whenever we need a dish for a potluck, this is our go-to. You'll be sure to get complements, and requests for this recipe.