Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, tomatoes, onions and peppers in a zesty dressing. A cool salsa in the hot summer!
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (2/3 ounce) package Italian salad dressing mix (such as Good Seasons)
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- Combine first 11 ingredients (peas through Italian seasoning) in a large bowl. Stir well.
- Combine dressing mix, oil and vinegar. Pour over pea mixture. Stir well. Chill at least 2 hours.
- Serve with tortilla chips. Makes about 8 cups.
This is my absolute favorite version of Mississippi Caviar! The only suggestion I have is to use the Zesty version of italian dressing mix. I had to use it once because I didn't have the regular and found that everyone in my family liked it better.
This is one of those recipes that everyone requests when I'm invited for a gathering or cookout. I serve it with corn chips, but some people I know just eat it as a side dish salad. YUM!!