Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are the best candied yams I have ever eaten!
- 3 lbs fresh orange-fleshed yams, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and sliced 1/4
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced with peel and seeded
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine sugar, butter, orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in small sauce pan and heat gently to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Arrange sliced yams and lemon slices in large baking dish as one layer, or slightly overlapping.
- Pour syrup mixture over yams.
- Bake at 325:F. for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, basting thoroughly every 15-20 minutes with syrup from baking pan.
- Turn yams occasionally.
- When done, yams should be tender when pierced with point of sharp knife and syrup has been almost completely absorbed and thickened.
- This dish may be prepared early in the day, covered lightly and reheated in oven or microwave.
These were very yummy!!! The sauce didn't quite thicken up as much as I would have like, maybe I had too much sauce and not enough yams!! They were the best yam recipe I have tried!
The lemon in this yam recipe adds a delicious change to the usual yam dish. I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone raved about it. This recipe has been requested from me from several people who dined with us.
This is my go-to recipe! I make it for Easter, Christmas, and any other time of year! I love the lemon slices on top - they add a lot of flavour, and it makes it looks beautiful.