Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are the best candied yams I have ever eaten!
Make and share this Mississippi Candied Yams recipe from Food.com.
- Combine sugar, butter, orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in small sauce pan and heat gently to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Arrange sliced yams and lemon slices in large baking dish as one layer, or slightly overlapping.
- Pour syrup mixture over yams.
- Bake at 325:F. for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, basting thoroughly every 15-20 minutes with syrup from baking pan.
- Turn yams occasionally.
- When done, yams should be tender when pierced with point of sharp knife and syrup has been almost completely absorbed and thickened.
- This dish may be prepared early in the day, covered lightly and reheated in oven or microwave.
These were very yummy!!! The sauce didn't quite thicken up as much as I would have like, maybe I had too much sauce and not enough yams!! They were the best yam recipe I have tried!
The lemon in this yam recipe adds a delicious change to the usual yam dish. I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone raved about it. This recipe has been requested from me from several people who dined with us.
This is my go to yam recipe for any celebration dinner! People always love it and tend to ask for the recipe. Thanks for posting this!