Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fast and easy lunch when you want a gyro and just don't want to go out. Recipe given to me by a friend who is afraid of lamb.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 (10 ounce) minute steaks, cut crosswise into 2 x 1/4 inch strips
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 large pita breads, cut in half
- Combine garlic, oregano, coriander, salt and allspice in small bowl.
- Pat minute steaks dry on paper towel.
- Add steaks to spice mixture.
- Cook steaks in oil skillet over medium heat until desired doneness; 2 to 3 minutes for rare.
- Spoon into pita.
- Garnish with onion& chopped tomato.
- Serve with Yogurt Sauce of 1/2 c.
- low fat plain yogurt, 1/4 c.
- chopped cucumber, 1 tbsp.
- chopped onion, and 1/4 tsp.
I made these last night and we all liked them. DH said they were good but not the same as our local greek take out. However, he followed that with, "you should make these often"....lol. I am always on the lookout for ways to use my minutes steaks and I think I've found another good one. I did add a little fresh dill to the yogurt sauce as we like that, but otherwise followed the recipe as written. Thank you for a great recipe.
Dee-licious! My three boys (all under 12) devoured these. I added thinly sliced cucumbers and diced tomatoes to stuff into the pita along with the onion and yogurt. I adjusted the yogurt slightly by adding cumin, green onions and garlic...YUM!!
Was a quick way to fix gyrosm,could subst. lamb. I increased the sauce(tripled the dill)and rub amounts. Delicious! Thanks, Bitsie.