Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These are one of the simplest of cookies to make. It's different from the other Mint Meringues posted here in several ways. Hope you enjoy them and include them in my Holiday cookie tray.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 teaspoon cider vinegar or 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, preferable superfine or 3⁄4 cup Splenda granular, artificial sweetener
- 1 teaspoon spearmint extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- red food coloring, as neeeded
- 15 red starlight mint candies, crushed medium-fine
- I used green starlight mint candies and I used only 14. The amount is up to you.
- I also used 1 drop green food color.
- As in working with egg whites always make sure you bowl is ABSOLUTELY clean and free of grease.
- What you use for lining your pans is up to you.
- Position racks to divide oven in thirds and heat to 200ºF.
- Use 2 large baking sheets lined with quick-release foil or silicone pad or parchment paper or brown wrapping paper(paper bag).
- You will also need a large party or deco bag with large star tip.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar(or its substitute as stated)in large bowl with medium speed mixer until sof peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar 1 Tbs at a time until incorporated.
- Switch speed to high and beat for 3-4 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl with rubber(silicone) spatula until stiff and shiny peaks form.
- Add in extract and food color to desired shade.
- Spoon into pastry bag with star tip and squeeze out a 1 1/2 inch wide rosette, 1 inch apart on the baking sheets.
- Lightly sprinkle tops with crushed starlight mints.
- Bake 3 to 3 1/4 HOURS until meringues are dry and crisy all the way through.
- Cool on sheets on racks and remove from lining when cool.
- Airtight at cool room temp up to 2 months.
- Any moisture will wilt them.