Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
The "Run for the Roses" (Kentucky Derby) is less than a month away. This delicious cheesecake taken from the traditional mint julep cocktail is a "must have" for any derby party. Prep/cooking does not include refrigeration time to allow layers to set.
- 2 cups crushed chocolate graham crackers
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons kentucky Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons mint extract
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- fresh mint, for garnish
- To make crust: In a large bowl, combine crushed graham crackers with 4 tablespoons melted butter. Pat the mixture in the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- To make filling: Combine cream cheese and sugar in a food processor and mix until smooth. Add the sour cream, eggs, and bourbon; mix well. Add 2 tablespoons melted butter and mix again. Pour the mixture into the cooled crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Cool and refrigerate.
- To make the topping: Combine 3 ounces cream cheese, 4 tablespoons butter and powdered sugar in a food processor and mix well. Add the mint flavoring and food coloring and mix. Spread the mixture onto the baked and cooled cheesecake. Refrigerate.
- Melt the chocolate morsels in the top of a double boiler and add the cream, stirring until the chocolate is melted. Refrigerate, stirring every few minutes, until the mixture is thickened like cream cheese. Spread over the green layer and refrigerate until set.