Recipe by Bobbie
If you need an easy appetizer to put together, try these. Although it calls for plum tomatoes, the smaller vine tomatoes can be used. Just select tomatoes that are about the size of your baguette slices. These are very refreshing and also very attractive to serve. I love serving them in the summer when the tomato crop is at its peak -- but they are equally nice served during the holidays with their red, white and green color. Note: The prep time does not include the 8 hours the mixture should chill prior to serving.
- 1 baguette
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pinch garlic powder (optional)
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut baguette into 16 slices.
- Stir together mayonnaise, cream cheese, basil, 1/8 t. salt and 1/8 t. pepper (and garlic powder if using).
- Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Spread mixture on baguette slices.
- Top with tomato slice and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Note: Just to add to the appearance of these, I like to add a few more sprinkles of basil or some sliced basil leaves to the top of the tomato.