Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I decided that some of my leftover deli sliced smoked turkey was just the thing to make mini-muffin sandwiches. The only question in my mind was to decide what type of muffins to make. Cornbread always goes well with turkey, so adding cornmeal to the muffins was an easy decision. I wanted them to be slightly sweet and not too dry, so I added a small amount of brown sugar to them. I planned on using some leftover cranberry sauce with sliced deli smoked turkey, and because cranberry and citrus work so well together, I also opted to add some orange juice to the muffins. I didn't add any zest, though the juice was fresh squeezed, because I wanted the flavor to be subtle enough to prevent it from competing with the turkey.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease two 12-cup mini muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, egg and oil until smooth. Add orange juice. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and stir until just combined. Distribute batter evenly among prepared mini muffin tins.
- Bake at 350F for 9 -11 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Cut in half and place one half of sliced deli turkey on bottom half of muffin and a teaspoon of cranberry sauce on each. Add muffin top and secure with a toothpick.