Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe has been in my family for years. It has been a tradition to make this huge pot and have left overs for days! I could eat 6 bowls of this thing, it's so delicious!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6 red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 quarts beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot.
- Add the onions and cook over low heat until soft but not browned.
- Add the carrots, celery, zucchini, potatoes, cabbage, and beef broth.
- Over high heat, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, white beans, green beans, and salt.
- Simmer for 30 minutes more.
- Serve with grated parmesan (if desired) and enjoy!