Recipe by AmyZoe
I've never made minestrone before. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how quick and easy but delicious it is. I doubled the beans but used white kidney beans in place of garbanzo and used all chicken broth instead of water and broth. Even without the fresh basil and parmesan this is delicious. Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens March 2012.
- 28 ounces Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth or 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning (or 1 tsp dried basil and 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 cup rigatoni pasta (uncooked) or 1 cup penne pasta (uncooked)
- 2 -3 cups Baby Spinach
- fresh parmesan cheese
- fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven combine the tomatoes, 2 cups water, beans, broth, sweet pepper, seasoning, and pasta.
- Bring to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until pasta is barely tender.
- Stir in spinach.
- Ladle into individual bowls.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and/or fresh basil, if desired.