Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Yummy soup, just in time for fall. From the cookbook Cucina Ebraica. This is a Jewish-Italian cookbook with great recipes. Prep time includes time for the lentils to soak.
- 473.18 ml about 1 pound dried lentils
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery, chopped
- 236.59 ml tomato puree or 236.59 ml tomato sauce
- 78.07 ml chopped Italian parsley
- 946.36 ml water
- 453.59 g ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 73.94 ml rendered chicken fat or 73.94 ml margarine
- Place the lentils in a bowl with water to cover and let soak for a few hours.
- Drain and place in a saucepan with the onions, carrots, celery, tomato puree, parsley, and enough water to cover by about 2 inches. This may be more or less than 4 cups. Use your best judgement.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until the lentils are tender; about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile season the meat with salt and pepper and form into marble sized meatballs.
- Melt the fat in a pan and brown the balls on all sides.
- Add the meatballs and the fat from the pan to the soup and simmer until cooked through.
- Season to taste and serve in heated bowls.