1/4 Photos of Mimi's Lemon Meringue Pie
Mimi in Maine's Note:
This is the best-ever Lemon Meringue Pie you could ask for. It is made with fresh lemons and fresh grated lemon peel. This is to die for---well not actually, but it has great lemon flavor and it is not that hard to make. Before putting the lemon filling in the pie shell, you will notice that a couple of tablespoons of the meringue go into the filling. It is wonderful. Once you make this you will not want to have any other.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 baked pie shell
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 egg yolks ((slightly beaten--save the whites)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1In a saucepan combine the first 1 1/2 cups water, salt, and the sugar; heat to boiling.
- 2In a small bowl mix the cornstarch and 1/3 cup water to make a paste.
- 3Add to the boiling mixture gradually, stirring constantly; cook till thick and clear.
- 4Remove from heat.
- 5Combine the egg yolks and lemon juice and mix well.
- 6Stir into thickened mixture slowly, stirring all the while as you don't want to scramble the yolks (you could temper the yolks, but if you are careful about the contstant stirring, you will not need to do that).
- 7Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles again; remove from heat.
- 8Stir in butter and lemon peel.
- 9Cover and cool to lukewarm.
- 11Add the salt to the egg whites and beat till frothy.
- 12Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating till glossy peaks are formed.
- 13Stir 2 rounded tablespoons of the meringue into the lukewarm lemon filling and mix well.
- 14Put the filling into a baked pie shell and pile the meringue on top spreading to the edge of the shell.
- 15Bake in a 325-350 degree oven about 10 minutes or till golden.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mimi's Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3300.6
- Calories from Fat 999
- Total Fat 111.1 g
- Saturated Fat 42.6 g
- Cholesterol 755.6 mg
- Sodium 3255.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 552.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 403.9 g
- Protein 36.1 g