1/6 Photos of Mile-High Caramel Apple Pie
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Four pounds of apples go into this towering pie -- but you don't have to peel a single one. Just slice the fruit and pile it up. Warm caramel sauce drizzled on top provides extra sweetness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 lbs cooking apples, such as Fuji (about 12 cups) or 4 lbs granny smith apples, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 12 cups)
- 1 unbaked double pie crust (your favorite)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (12 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping (about 1 cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 475°F.
- 2In very large bowl combine butter and cinnamon; add apples and toss gently to coat.
- 3Spread apples evenly in a parchment paper- or foil-lined, large roasting pan or two 15x10x1-inch baking pans.
- 4Roast (one pan at a time if using baking pans) 4 to 5 inches from heat for 7 to 10 minutes or until apples start to brown on edges, turning once halfway through.
- 5Cool apples in pan(s). Reduce heat to 375°F.
- 6Prepare pastry or let refrigerated pastry stand at room temperature according to package directions.
- 7Line 9-inch pie plate with half of pastry (a deep one).
- 8In very large bowl stir together brown sugar, flour, and salt.
- 9Add apple slices and any juices; stir to coat.
- 10Transfer to pastry-lined pie plate.
- 11Trim top crust to edge of pie plate.
- 12Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry; crimp edge.
- 13Brush top with mixture of beaten egg and water.
- 14Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- 15Place on middle shelf in oven; place foil-lined baking sheet on lower rack beneath pie.
- 16Bake 30 minutes; remove foil from pie. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes more or until top is golden and filling is bubbly.
- 17Remove to a wire rack.
- 18While warm, drizzle with some of the caramel topping.
- 19Cool completely.
- 20Serve with remaining topping.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mile-High Caramel Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 595.1
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.0 mg
- Sodium 618.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 37.0 g
- Protein 5.1 g