Recipe by Gatorbek
I don't know who Mike is, or on which website I originally found his recipe, but it is a family staple. Thanks, Mike, whoever you are!
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 226.79 g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 226.79 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 226.79 g hot Italian sausage link, casings removed and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 396.89 g can tomatoes, chopped, including juice
- 59.14 ml italian dry red wine
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 453.59 g spaghetti
- 59.14 ml heavy cream
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated for sprinkling
- fresh parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms, and bell pepper in the olive oil. Keep stirring until the vegetables begin to brown nicely.
- Add the chicken, sausage, can of tomatoes with juice, red wine, oregano, basil, and sugar.
- Simmer the mixture very gently, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, in a large kettle of salted water, cook the spaghetti until it is al dente, then drain well.
- Add the fresh cream to the tomato mixture. Adjust taste with sapt and pepper and simmer the sauce for another 3 minutes, or until it is thickened slightly.
- Remove the finished sauce from the heat.
- Serve tomato mixture over spaghetti, sprinkled with grated cheese and parsley.