Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Migas is Spainish for "bits and pieces". I have enjoyed this breakfast dish in Mexico and thought I would share the recipe. Serve with warm flour tortillas and refried beans.
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 poblano peppers (fresh)
- 1 jalapeno chile (fresh)
- 9 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water, milk or 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, slivered
- 30 tortilla chips, broken into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- extra whole tortilla chips, diced tomato, grated cheese, cilantro sprigs and sour cream, for garnish
- Preheat broiler.
- Place tomatoes, poblanos and jalapeno on a baking sheet. Broil until browned all over and blackened in spots. Place poblanos and jalapeno in a plastic bag to steam as they cool. When cool enough to handle, chop tomatoes and their charred skin. Peel poblanos and jalapeno. Slice chiles open and remove seeds and veins. Slice poblanos into thin strips; mince jalapeno.
- Combine eggs, water and salt; whisk.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chiles and their juices. Cook until thoroughly heated and liquid evaporates. Pour in egg mixture, stirring from the bottom. When eggs are nearly done, add chips. Stir and cook until done. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and cilantro.
- Serve with warm flour tortillas and garnishes.