Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
I don't recall where I got this recipe from but I use to make it all the time when I was in college. This also freezes nicely.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a 3 quart microwave safe casserole, crumble beef and add onions. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring to break up meat. Microwave on high for 2 more minutes and drain off fat.
- Add spaghetti sauce, water, basil and uncooked spaghetti. Mix to combine. Cover with lid and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir. Cover casserole again and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes longer. Stir.
- If you want to freeze this dish, at this point cool the casserole in the refrigerator. Wrap, label, and attach a freezer bag with the grated Parmesan cheese. Freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Cover casserole with microwave safe paper towel and microwave on medium for 7-8 minutes until warm. Sprinkle with cheese and continue as directed below.
- If not freezing, sprinkle with cheese, cover again and microwave on high for 7-8 minutes longer until spaghetti is tender. Let stand 4 minutes before serving.
What an easy recipe! Who'd have thought it could be so simple. I knocked this up for some lunchpacks for my husband. I used kangaroo mince, and Italian herbs, and added about 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar for a bit more flavour. I also used stock instead of water. Thanks, I'll be making this again!