Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy dish to put together the night before and then cook in the microwave the next night for dinner. Green chilies add a distinctive flavor.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup herb-seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the onion, celery and margarine. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until margarine is melted. Stir in milk.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 minutes or until milk is steaming (do not boil). Stir in rice.
- Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, soup, croutons, chilies and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, stirring once.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.