Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This is an easy dish to put together the night before and then cook in the microwave the next night for dinner. Green chilies add a distinctive flavor.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup herb-seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the onion, celery and margarine. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until margarine is melted. Stir in milk.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 minutes or until milk is steaming (do not boil). Stir in rice.
- Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, soup, croutons, chilies and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, stirring once.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.