Recipe by Ridgely
This is my husband's recipe for chili. He worked hard to get ideas for the different ingredients from his friends in Mexico. He won his first chili cook-off with this recipe. Prep times does not include soaking beans overnight.
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs chorizo sausages
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 chili peppers, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Let beans soak overnight in plenty of water.
- Put soaked beans, 1 small chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic (sliced) into a large pot with enough water to cover everything.
- Bring to boil and cook until the beans are just opened and soft (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours). May need to add water occasionally.
- In a large pan, fry the chorizo for about 8 minutes.
- Add the large chopped onion and the 4 chopped tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped chili peppers and salt (to taste) and cook until well done.
- Mix the beans with the meat mixture and put in a covered pot with about 1 cup water (more if you like it thinner) and simmer an hour or more.