Prep 15 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
This is my husband's recipe for chili. He worked hard to get ideas for the different ingredients from his friends in Mexico. He won his first chili cook-off with this recipe. Prep times does not include soaking beans overnight.
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs chorizo sausages
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 chili peppers, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- Let beans soak overnight in plenty of water.
- Put soaked beans, 1 small chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic (sliced) into a large pot with enough water to cover everything.
- Bring to boil and cook until the beans are just opened and soft (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours). May need to add water occasionally.
- In a large pan, fry the chorizo for about 8 minutes.
- Add the large chopped onion and the 4 chopped tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped chili peppers and salt (to taste) and cook until well done.
- Mix the beans with the meat mixture and put in a covered pot with about 1 cup water (more if you like it thinner) and simmer an hour or more.